Thursday, October 19, 2006

Earthquake in Paradise

I woke up to a shudder. At first thought, I wonder if I am in the middle of a nightmare. I had watched a The Grudge 2 the night before and was still in an unstable sort of state as far as the mind is concerned. The shudder did not stop and I woke up to see my room mate awake and the whole entire unit was awake as well. The electricity went out for all of Hawaiian Islands. It was only then that I had realise I am experiencing my first earthquake. I was a little surprise that it was so mild. I have never been caught in any sort of natural disasters and to tell you the truth I was a little excited really to finally be able to experience it and yet at the same time, I was hoping it would not being anything serious.

Shortly after, most of the girls in the Hale(Hale is the word for house here in Hawaii) were all awoke and there was a Tsunami warning being issued. Everyone living on the ground level needs to evacuate to the second level. It was amazing to see the different things the girls would bring with them when they were told to evacuate. Some brought their laptops, food, and clothes. Others who are a little more sane pack their 72 hour kit and came upstairs with them. I did not have anything at all. I had not prepard my 72 hour kit. However I manage to put together some essentials for a makeshift 72 hour kit.

I spend the rest of the day in my friend's apartment learning how to play majong and got quite good at it. Now I am addicted to it. When night falls we were still playing with the aid of our pathetic flashlights. We even went star gazing and since it was dark everywhere, everything else on the nightsky was so much darker. I could even see the constellation of the milky way. The power did not come back on till four in the morning. It was an unusual experience, but not something I would rather go through again.