Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Set UP!

I went shopping again! I spend a lot. I know I am hopeless, but it cannot be helped. I love fashion, it is in me, and I am poisoned. I bought a vintage looking dress. It is in the color of light turquoise blue with brown strips crosses down the chest.

It has been a while since I went shopping with michelle. Perhaps most students would not understand my passion for fashion, but I do think that no matter how poor someone is, they should also possess the power or rather the right to dress themselves up. Everyone wants to look good, it is almost something that in inherent in all humans, male or female.

So I wore my new dress to church on Sunday, and those girls in my ward just hated me for it, but whatever! I like it. I am happy.

Now I am going to go into the reason for this post. Our ward conference is coming up and in preparation for it, our ward activities committee has got a whole week full of activities all planned out. One of the highlights is our ward ball. It is free but it is only open to the ward members only. The theme of the ball is, “The night of Kings and Queens” well needless to say, everyone would be treated like royalties. Now here is the catch, you can only attend the ball if you have a partner, and it is girl’s choice. So this is almost to preference in that aspect. Now you wonder who would take it seriously, and our wise bishop alongside with his committee has already anticipated our cynicism, so they decided to take matters into their own hands. They came up with a brilliant idea of setting us all up. So we did not have relief society or priesthood class, instead they were combine. Every single was given a slip of paper. The man will need to write their names down, while the ladies’ would have a number written on it already. Needless to say, I was not paying attention to it all, and took the numbered paper thinking it was all a game.

As is the case, there were more ladies than man, so this is always a problem. There were about 50 ladies in our ward and the remaining numbers are all male. One by one the ladies will come up as their numbers are called and draw out a guy’s name from a bowl, and he will be her partner for the dance. I always have such bad luck, and since I always do, this is no exception. I went up all flushed and shaken with nervousness. My partner for the ball is a Tongan/Caucasian. In spite of the more than embarrassing moment, I decide that it would not be that bad. It is just a ward activity and I am not going to marry this man, and if I go to the ball with him, I might even end up with a new friend. I have nothing to lost, and let’s hope he is not going to be a jerk. *Fingers crossed* I do not think he is....

However a majority of the man in our ward decided against participating in it. I wonder why? It is only a ward activity… Bishop is not even putting you on an arranged marriage. They complained about being single and when someone steps into to help, they turn it away. Who says women are confusing and hard to decipher? Men are the ones. You never know what they want, and so I have give up trying to read them, all I ever do now is to have fun and a jolly fun time.