Thursday, March 30, 2006

Fashion ideas

I have been away from Singapore from so long and I really wonder how is the fashion scene in Singapore right now? What are people wearing? Recently I was browsing through the internet and I came across a few fashion blogs edited by some Singaporeans. They are very well written and it makes for an interesting read every so often.

However there are a few things which are greatly disturbing as I read them. On one of the blogs it says and I quote, “[A]ll Singaporean girls look alike, all of them scantly clad with clothes. You see them in jeans and camisole all the time.” The author then goes on to talk about Singapore’s lack of fashion creativity, and her seasons being eternally summer.

I challenge that statement, and would like to retort it by saying; the weather has nothing to do with one’s fashion sense.

It is a blessing to live in Singapore where the weather is one of eternal summer. First of all, because the weather is always the same, you need not spend unnecessary money on changing your wardrobe. It costs a lot of money to buy scarves, shawls, winter coats, woolen coats and boots. You can have the luxury of wearing cotton and linen. You can walk around in sandal and slippers and look exotic in them.

I live in America, and I have access to shops such as American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister just to name some of them. These are great stores, but just like Giodano, they do have a different style that they follow. They are following the basics too, just in a different way. Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister follows the California style of fashion, while American eagle is just typical American fashion, nothing too exciting. Living in a different place does not make you more fashionable.

Style is defines you from the crowd. Be bold, be creative, be willing to experiment with new pieces. Fashion and style is all about creativity. Pile on accessories if you want to. Solitaire rings are good, but in my opinion they are much too safe. Why be plain when you could look fabulous without being plain and safe?

This is my little food for thought.