Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Dinner time...

It has been almost a year since I left home for college, and there are somethings here in Hawaii that constantly amuses me, among many things, I need to admit a better part of it has to do with fashion. I work in a Luau in the Polynesian Cultural Center. A luau is a hawaiian style resturant, where people sit together at a long table and enjoy their dinner while someone performs the hula on the stage. Work can be hectic, but overall it is still not beyond my level of tolerance. Every night as I collect their empty plates, I picked up alot of clean knives from their tables. They do not seem to need to use their knives...

I dine in the Cafeteria, and I have got a confession to make. The food served there is terrible. It is barely edible, and good grief it is so expensive!!! I do not usually dine in the cafeteria but when I do, it is usually on sundays and the food is usually better, or so they say.

I realise that cultures do impact our dining habits as well. Here is a little food for thought.

You would think that the caucasians know the art of using forks and knives, well no, not all of them do. The Americans for example do not seem to be able to grasp the idea, here it is the Europeans who does. They do not cut their food up with their knife, instead they use the side of a fork to cut their food up. I wonder why. Goodness, I wonder then why do they provide dinning knives, or maybe I should wonder why they do not use their knives to cut when it is provided for them. A strange lot they are! While I cut my brocooli with my knife, they think I am being too proper and should just stuff the whole entire piece into my mouth. It is amusing to see how a simple dinning habit can vary for cultures.

So next time, are you going to be a "European" or an "American"?