Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Muslim Fundementalist?!

I wonder if I could write anything here and no one would ever know. No one reads it, at least not the people I know. It is also a comforting thought...

I am glad I got to talk to Luke last night. It was a rare sight to see him. Usually we would chat for a little while and then end up not seeing each other at all for weeks on end. We always have such good conversations; well at least I think so. Another reason why I like talking to him was because our conversations just flow naturally, although most of the time, the topic of our conversation are a little solemn in nature. I enjoy our conversations. It is nice to be able to talk to someone who knows about what is going on in this world.

A few weeks ago, Arby and I were discussing some issues related to the bomb attacks in London. Arby mentioned there is a huge number of Muslims living in Bradford, and I thought that is strange. I knew all along that there are many different cultural groups living in UK, but it just did not dawn on me that, there would be so much Muslims. He also goes on to talk about their way of life and how woman would typically walk behind a man. It is also a common sight for a woman to show respect to man. Women are not allowed to sit in the front seat of a car. If a man enters the car, she will need to give it up and move to the rear.

I thought it was a little strange and there is certainly nothing to justify such a tradition. I am also sadden by the stubbornness of people and how they would try with desperate means to try to cling onto their traditions when they knew deep within them that all of it is wrong. What shocked me most was the fact that these muslims lived in UK their whole lives, and yet they are still clinging onto to such a traditions, something which I cannot make sense of. I hope someday, things will change and that people all around the world can enjoy the same privileges too.