Friday, July 22, 2005

Gay Marriages

As I walked into the Aloha center here on campus, I was immediately greeted by snippets and shots of a gay marriage ceremony on mainland America, broadcasted via CNN. At that very moment, I was reminded of the issues of gay marriages and the research I try to conduct back home.

About two years ago, when the Singapore government came up with the revelation for the legalization of gay marriages, it stumped me for a little while. For the first time, I stopped to think what kind of consequence would such a revelation created for a global village.

What shocked me more was how much the society has changed. I thought, how in all probability the youth of the 21th cenutry have turn out to be. What is going on in the head of the government, and in the minds of the older generation? What does your parents think?

Everywhere around the world, people are becoming more liberal. Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die; this has become a household phrase, but is this what we should all live by? People everywhere live with a personal paradigm, through no fault of theirs they allow it to contour their lives.

There is no sin in it. We all do it and we are not aware of it.

I wonder:

how the human race will increase in population again.

how a child’s perception of mom and dad will change if he/she is adopted by a gay couple.

what if the child would think that being gay is normal.

how the world will would think of gay marriage.

if people mean what they say when we question them about their perception on gay marriages.

will this turn into an eventual norm.


I have a lot more questions than these, however, I wonder if there is a cause in all of this pursuit.

I am not a homosexual and I highly doubt I would be one; however I do not persecute them for their actions. I give them due respect for who they are as I would to the woman/man next to me. Everyone has their free agency. However I must say the eventual legalization of gay marriages around the world will serve to hasten moral decadence of our society.